avoid duplicate content

August 16th, 2007 by admin | Permalink

in the last weeks i started to read a lot of seo stuff.
one main thing i learned was to avoid duplicate content.
normally if you have a domain registered at an isp, your website is reachable under www.domain.tld and domain.tld. for google, msn, yahoo and so on, this means there are two sites with the same content. that could affect that your website is getting a bad rank in the searchengine. there is an easy way the remove that.

edit your .htaccess and add the following:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.yourdomain\.tld$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomain.tld/$1 [R=301,L]

in some cases you’ll have to add this on the top:

RewriteEngine On

compile error on qmail and other djb products like ucspi-tcp, daemontools, djbdns, tinydns

August 1st, 2007 by admin | Permalink

since the new gcc version is out, djb software has its problems with compiling. also netqmail has problems.
something with errno … bla…bla…bla…

there is a simple fix for that.
just go to the sourcecode and find the file conf-cc.
edit it and add the following code :
cc -O2 -include /usr/include/errno.h

now it should work.

UPDATE: little performance tuning for qmail + vpopmail

July 19th, 2007 by admin | Permalink

after looking around, i found this entry in life with qmail. after changing all things descriped there, my qmail is running and running and breaking records. 🙂

in addition to that, you should look here at tcpserver config

Kernel panic – /dev/console

July 13th, 2007 by admin | Permalink

After a reboot of one of my systems I got the following error:

pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 426:cannot open /dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

After an upgrade of the kernel via apt-get on debian, the menu.lst entry in grub for the new kernel is pointed to /dev/hda1 by default. If the kernel is on a different partition this error will appear.

Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year

May 24th, 2007 by admin | Permalink

i found this blog entry written by Mark Ontkush in january 2007.

seems like my website saves energy!!!

Error: ORA-00972: identifier is too long in jetty with grails

May 18th, 2007 by admin | Permalink

i got this error in my jetty logfile:

ORA-00972: identifier is too long

seems like oracle is not supporting row names longer than 30 characters.

i started coding in grails

May 16th, 2007 by admin | Permalink

i started coding in grails in the last days.
for the start i must say, every webframework seems to be the same, and every webframework seems to be different.

one thing i am missing is that the scaffolding is not that clear then it is in ruby on rails.
in ruby i can define my table in the database and the generated html is in the same order like the db.
there is no sort in grails or i am not understanding it.

one great thing is the services section. you can put functionality into services and they are completely ready for transactions. so if the script breaks, all the datas are getting roled back. great stuff!

more to come…

little performance tuning for qmail + vpopmail

May 10th, 2007 by admin | Permalink

i use qmail in combination with vpopmail from inter7 on my servers.

the most start scripts for qmail use tcpserver and tcpserver uses recursive dns for every request.
so if there is a lot of traffic or spam or whatever, tcpserver sometime takes to long to resolv these ip addresses and no more connections are able to be opened in that time.
the resultion is to set the params like this:

tcpserver -H

the -H means don’t resolve the ip.


April 23rd, 2007 by admin | Permalink

i got some errors on my ruby on rails project, when i tried to get strings from two different hashes.

it catched all the data, but it added always !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess in front of my data.

i solved that by doing a little trick.

comment.title = params[:title]

and changed it so use only the data from the hash i want to use

comment.title = params[:title][:thefieldiwanttouse].to_s

simscan with clamd & spamassassin

April 22nd, 2007 by admin | Permalink

i use simscan to scan every mail on one of my mailservers.
i don’t often restart my servers, so sometime i get the following error in my smtp log file.

2007-04-20 12:11:13.004232500 connect(): No such file or directory

most of the time this happens when clamd or spamassassin is not started. normally this should happen on the restart.

in my case
clamd &
solved the issue.

%d bloggers like this: